Monday, July 25, 2005

The End of 2D Disney

So. It finally happened. Amid Amidi over at Cartoon Brew just posted an interesting bit of info about the DisneyToon studios in Australia. They will be closing upon the completion of their current film, "Cinderella 3." That last little bit right there is what makes me feel better about the decision to close the studio. CINDERELLA 3? For God's sake people.
I am just as upset as the next animator to know that hand drawn Disney animation will no longer be done anywhere on the globe, but I think we all saw it coming. Now it's up to some gifted animator (I'm looking in your direction, Sylvain Chomet) to create a beautiful amazing 2D film that rakes in cash like nobody's business, thus convincing executives somewhere that the 2D market is still viable. And when that day comes, all the old guys (and gals) will be brought out of retirement to teach traditional techniques to a bunch of people that don't know how to draw. I can't wait.

No comments: